Wow! It's starting to click now!

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Mon Feb 20 05:16:57 EST 2006

>At 7:04 PM -0800 2/18/2006, Scott Rossi wrote:
>>Why is it not possible to substitute 1 and 0 for true and false?  Is this
>>possible and I've just never seen it?  Has no one ever needed this option?
>
>It goes back to the way xTalks handle values. True and false are
>strings, not numbers (the constant true has value "true", and
>likewise for false). This is how boolean values are reported
>throughout the language, as the strings "true" or "false".
>
>I suppose xTalks could special-case equalities by making the string
>"true" equal the string "1", and "false" equal "0", but it would be
>kind of opaque to scripters, I think. (Handy, but hard to
>understand.)
>--
>jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
>http://www.jaedworks.com

I guess that using explicit strings for true/false can have to do
with HyperTalk, the mother tongue of xTalks, being developed when
Pascal was the standard programming langauge. Personally, I find the
C concept of equating any non-zero number to true somewhat silly
albeit practical in that terse language.

Robert