Two sounds at the same time!?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 13:23:14 EST 2006

On  Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:48:43 +0000, Jim Hamlyn <jim at jimhamlyn.co.uk>
wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I¹m just in the process of trying out Revolution and it seems to be
> a very
> powerful tool. However I¹m concerned by the statement in the
> documentation
> that ³You cannot play two sounds at the same time². Why? And is
> there a
> workaround for this?

Eric has already given a comprehensive answer, but just in case it's
**too** comprehensive - sorry, Eric :(  - the answer is that
Quicktime (in Rev, a player) can play two sounds at the same time,
and in fact more than this AFAIK. The trouble is that if you're going
to release an app on a PC, it's a pain to insist that the user
installs Quicktime. In that case, I've had to go to the lengths of re-
recording certain sounds so that a single file contains the two
sounds added together: most sound editors will do this. For example,
I found that I wanted a noise of machinery sometimes accompanied by
an alarm going off, so I just recorded a sound file
'machineryAndAlarm' and played that when the program logic demanded
it. A hack, I guess, but it worked.

HTH

Graham