Palette mystery

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Feb 19 03:25:07 EST 2006

Recently, Graham Samuel wrote:

>>> I've got three stacks, let's say stack 'A' whose style is topLevel,
>>> and stacks 'B' and 'C' whose style is palette. The global property
>>> raisepalettes is true, but despite this, if I click on 'A', it moves
>>> in front of 'B' and 'C'.
>>>

>> Something else is probably going on here.  It's unlikely (if not
>> impossible)
>> for a toplevel stack to appear above a palette stack (thus the
>> reason for
>> the existence of palette stacks).  Either you're somehow setting
>> stack 'A'
>> to palette mode, or you're changing the mode of 'B' and 'C' to
>> topLevel.
>>
>> Are you changing the modes/styles of your stacks via script?

> You say that it's not impossible for a toplevel stack to appear above
> a palette stack - can you give any more detail on this? I see nothing
> in the RR docs.

There is nothing in the RR docs that I know of.  My intent was to imply that
it's *extremely* unlikely that a palette can ever be rendered above a
topLevel stack in the same app (there may be some bug going on but I've yet
to see anything like this in years of working with Rev/MC).  I would suggest
that whenever you experience what you perceive to be a topLevel stack
displaying above a palette, immediate query the stack modes in the message
box and see what the result is.  Something like:

  put short name of stack 'A' && mode of stack 'A' && \
    short name of stack 'B' && mode of stack 'B' && \
    short name of stack 'C' && mode of stack 'C'

My guess is you'll find the modes to be the same (1 or 2 = topLevel, 4 =
palette).  If not, you may have discovered a bug.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design