Where is the list of all the Revolution messages etc?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Feb 18 15:49:25 EST 2006

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:41:25 +0100, Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>
> Just type "command", "function", "message", "keyword", "operator",
> etc. in the entry box in the dictionary pane :-)
>
> Le 18 févr. 06 à 19:32, Graham Samuel a écrit :
>

>> I believe I have followed the various conversations about the RR
>> documentation, and I've looked at the User Guide PDF (including its
>> introduction). What I can't seem to find are any complete lists,
>> e.g. a list of all the RR messages, a list of all commands etc.
>> These used to exist in RR 2.6.1. Now we have a good tutorial -
>> choose a PDF or a Video - on messages (for example) but AFAIKS we
>> don't have a list of all the possible messages.
>>
>> Obviously one expects this in any language reference, but
>> personally I need this because sometimes it's impossible to think
>> of a way of reaching information other than by looking through a
>> list - at the moment I'm trying to find out what message is sent
>> when you click on an already open card. I can't remember, but I
>> expect when I do find it that its name will be fairly descriptive,
>> so I'll know then that I've reached my destination. As it is, I'll
>> just tinker around until inspiration strikes.
>>
>> Is it just sitting there and I've missed it, or is this kind of
>> info expected to be added to the main PDF User Guide in due course?

Thanks Eric, that helps - a bit. In fact, this advice works with
'command' and 'function', but it doesn't work with 'object' or
'message'. Obviously some kind of 'Find' operation is taking place,
but it isn't exactly on object type. I see that I can click at the
top of the 'Type' column and sort by type, so that all the entries
for type 'message' are then shown together, but have I actually found
all the messages? Compare this with the very simple idea in 2.6.1
where you could actually unambiguously list all the messages. I see
now that by slightly modifying the way you can do the dictionary
search RR could solve the problem I described, but the next question
would be 'what is the list of messages that can be sent only to
cards?', and again I would be stuck, wouldn't I?

Believe me I'm not trying to make life more difficult than it need
be, but it does look to me as if these type of lists need to be put
back into the User Guide. I'll write to Kevin's special documentation
address.

Graham