Main menu puzzle, Klaus

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Sat Feb 18 13:43:36 EST 2006

Hi Eric,

I do think that Ken IS making effort.  Lots of effort.  He is doing us and
the company a favor by showing exactly what it is (in this particular
situation) that absolutely bedevils newcommers who are not programmers.

Case statements and pWhich's simply are NOT comprehensible to
non-programmers!

Perhaps a verbose version (where possible) of such things SHOULD  be
presented alongside the more "elegant" code snippets to aid those who are
new to programming, no?

For instance, every time I see a case statement solution, my brain
positively has to go into second language mode in which I have to read
each line like a small child would -- letter by letter, word by word,
translating the whole way into natural language.

>From a a marketing perspective, the answer simmply MUST NOT be:

IF you don't understand programmerspeak THEN
     go take a college course in introduction to programming
END IF

Instead:

IF the beauty of Transcript is its natural-language implementation THEN
     code snippets need to reflect this.
END IF.

Judy

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Eric Chatonet wrote:

> May be you should first dig in the docs to understand some basics:
> About the message path, custom handlers and functions, parameters,
> etc. for instance.
> The purpose of this list is to give *practical* answers (with some
> theory reminders if needed) but not to copy paste theory from the
> docs ;-)
> It's the reason why others proposed some pieces of code to you.

<snip>