Is duration (not delay) of the toolTip adjustable

André.Bisseret Andre.Bisseret at inria.fr
Sat Feb 18 12:05:20 EST 2006

Hello,
The app. I am developing is a set of texts, one on each card.
On a special card, accessible from the homeCard, there is a field that
displays the list of all the titles of the texts.
Of course, this field has a vertical scrollBar but also an horizontal
one, because some titles are  longer than the width of the field.
I am not very happy about this horizontal scrollBar, from an
ergonomical point of view.
So I will keep it, but I would like to add a redundant way to reading
the ends of the longs titles.
Thanks to Tutorials Picker 2.0, that I « picked » on the site So Smart
Software of Éric Chatonet,  I discovered «  How to create contextual
toolTips on-the-fly ».
Reading this tutorial, I got the idea of using « toolTips ».

Below is the handlers I wrote in the script of the TitlesField :
----------------------------
local tLine

on mouseDown
   put word 2 of the mouseLine into tLine
   set the tooltip of me to empty
   set the toolTip of me to line tLine of me
end mouseDown
----------------
on mouseUp
   set the toolTip of me to empty
end mouseUp
  ---------------------------
I put this « mouseUp handler » because the toolTip stays there for a
certain time that is constant before disappearing.
I want to avoid constraining the user to wait for all this time.
That works well but, on the other hand, this constant duration is
sometimes a bit too short to read comfortably the longs titles in the
toolTip.
There is my problem : Is there a possibility to set the duration of
toolTip display ? In fact I would need to get it longer.
I searched diverse ressources (with « Ressources Picker », of course)
but I did not find any answer to this question.

Thanks in advance for any idea,

Best regards from Grenoble
André