Is SMIL still alive?

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Feb 17 05:15:45 EST 2006

Hi Tom,

> I've been looking into smil file format recently, but
> 1. most things on the net look a little dated.

I am afraid it will go the way of many good solutions/technologies:
Falling into oblivion.

> 2. QuickTime doesn't seem to like smil files.

I just tested some of the SMIL files iI created with my mkLibSMIL1
and they still work with the QT Player and Rev players.

But please remember that QT only supports a (small) subset of the
SMIL specification.

> 3. Firefox dosen't seem to like smil pages....

Sorry, never tested SMIL in browsers.

But I think that SMIL files are only supported by some plug-ins and
not the browser itself.(?)

> Is this format losing support?

See above...

> thanks