Installer design and backdrops

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Thu Feb 16 17:09:21 EST 2006

> I've grown weary of using third-party installers and I prefer
> to automate all parts of my build process, so I'm working on
> a custom installer system for my projects.
>
> It seems that WiseInstall and InstallShield use a backdrop
> behind their install window, but I like the way Rev's 2.7
> installer doesn't presume you have nothing better to do that
> watch the progress bar.
>
> So here's the question:  Is the backdrop used by so many
> professional installers really just a useless holdover, or is
> there some benefit to having it that I'm not seeing?
>
> If you were building your own installer would you use a
> backdrop?  If so, why?

I did build my own installer (http://www.meshinstall.com) :-) Well sort of
-- its going to final candidate status in the next version. MeshInstall
doesn't currently have a backdrop but Ive been thinking there should be one
as an option. Sometimes installers manipulate files temporarily on a hard
disk - if a user can switch out of an install then there's a greater chance
they can screw up the process.

One of our businesses deals in content, and we needed an installer that we
could incorporate serialization into (since the content itself isnt
serialized like an app) and pretty up with some branding.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Proactive International, LLC