OT: Testers for Hinduism Today Digital Edition

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Feb 16 14:25:30 EST 2006

Aloha, from Hawaii:

Hinduism Today is now offering a Digital Edition. It's simple: we
make interactive PDF's and deliver these to subscribers over the net.

  We're working on a Revolution UI for subscribers to manage their
back issues, save and launch PDF's etc. Think a little "RevNet" type
interface for and online PDF magazine, all Dan Shafer's model + a few
added bells and whistles.

With a projected start up subscription base of perhaps 10,000 readers
shortly after launch in the second quarter of 2006, this should give
Revolution some publicity (our about box is is very up front about
Revolution...) And a large percentage of these will be professional
software people in the Indian community in India and in Silicon
Valley... more about that in the months ahead...

Meanwhile, the Rev interface will be relatively "painless" -- all our
"headaches" are around PDF interactive object implementation, video
codecs. The PDF's are, for now, simply available on line (not for
long...) I'm looking for some beta testers who would be willing to be
added to our beta group...

It's very simple, download a PDF and see if you can watch the movies...

I'm looking for testers from the Rev forum who

a) have experience with PDF delivery

b) have experience with video codecs that work or don't work on
various platforms -- h.264 versus "old" MPEG4 codecs running on
various Windows systems etc. Adobe 7.0 interactive media objects'
interaction with the "local" media player etc..

c) are willing to report back their experience and any suggestions.

Note, this is all relatively simple from one point of view and the
testing cycle will be pretty short. i.e. your communications over
head would comprise a couple of emails from me, and you make a few
tests and email me back. But you would need to be willing to a)
install the latest version of Adobe and b) install the latest version
of QT on your system

contact: katir at hindu.org if you are interested. And of course, if you
have any interest in modern Indian-Hindu affairs you will also enjoy
the magazine content as well

<shameless self-promotion>As Chennai business man and video producer,
Shankar Nathan said: "Am able to view the PDF -- it is gorgeous!"</
promotion>

Thank you

Sivakatirswami