Please clarify incompatibility re 2.7

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Feb 16 09:41:41 EST 2006

On 15 Feb 2006, at 19:33, Timothy Miller wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Could someone please let me know the details of this property? I
>> have a few stacks that run under MacOS 9 and may need to save them
>> under MacOS X and I don't want to inadvertently save them under RR
>> 2.7 and then find that I can't change them back to the 2.6 format.
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>> All the Best
>> Dave
>>
>>> There is a property you can set before saving in 2.7 that will
>>> make the stack compatible with 2.6. However, the information has
>>> been removed from the What's New text file and it isn't in the
>>> dictionary. I'm not sure why. Possibly it is because any 2.7
>>> features you've used in a stack will be lost if saved in 2.6
>>> format and they don't want people to risk that loss.
>

> Why not wait awhile until version 2.7 is available for MacOS 9? I
> understand it will be available fairly soon. 2.7 has some bug fixes
> and nice new features, but if 2.6 was working well for you, maybe
> "don't fix it if it ain't broke" applies to your situation.

I've had this problem before with RunRev as well as other
environments. You are working on a Stack in 2.7. You go to lunch or
whatever and when you return someone has requested a change to a
stack that works under MacOS 9. You double-click the stack file and
all works fine, the stack opens, you do your changes and you hit
save. Since 2.7 is loaded, it will be used to save the 2.6 stack -
BANG instant incompatibility with 2.6 and MacOS 9!

All I want to do is to add the code to set the property in the Stacks
that I know will never be upgraded to 2.7.

I really can't understand why this property is being kept a secret.

Also, there is not due date for 2.7 on Mac OS 9 and to be honest I
would be VERY surprised if it is released in less than 3 months if at
all.

All the Best
Dave