Getting Started with a Database

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Thu Feb 16 02:04:31 EST 2006

In about MySQL management tools, both Navicat MySQL (commercial) and
YourSQL (freeware) are giving me what i expect from them without any
issues.

It's always a good idea to use them in ssh tunnelling / localhost
port forwarding mode when you need to access a remote mySQL server aka :

1.- Establish the ssh connection from the shell() console : ssh -C -l
remoteserver_username -L 5902:127.0.0.1:3306
remoteserver_ipaddress_or_domainname

2.- Add a new connection to YourSQL with : server=127.0.0.1 port=5902
userid=mysqladmin_username password=mysqladmin_userpassword

In using this way, you can configure your MySQL server to accept
localhost connections only instead of letting the 3306 port opened to
the whole internet.

Best Regards,
--
Pierre Sahores