Substack problem .... !

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 15 08:24:11 EST 2006

Hi,

Just arrived on the forum - so Hi to all members !

OK - So I made the plunge to DreamCard after 15 years (and Oh so
many stacks !) of Hypercard.

The only problem I have (at the moment) is the MainStack/Substack
concept. I spent a whole day trawling previous posts to find an answer,
and fell asleep on my keyboard - you guys obviously know a lot ! But I
didn't find a solution I could understand.

I wanted to put a help function in many of my stacks, so in my first
Mainstack
I decided to create a substack, containing xx cards of Help which I
call from
various buttons in my Mainstack - simple "go to card xx of stack Help".
It worked fine !

I then decided to merge a copy of this Substack into other Mainstacks,
with
the idea of modifying  the card contents for specific help information.

So, without knowing what I was doing, I played around (dangerous !) with
my stack which contained 3 substacks, and by some miracle (don't ask me
how !), I isolated one of the substacks. It is now sitting as an
independant file
in my folder. Only problem was that my Mainstack now only has two of the
substacks, the Help substack having now been "removed".

This independant HELP substack is UNTOUCHABLE - can't display anything,
(double-click on the window in the "Pointer Tool" mode) has no effect.
I obviously can recreate the substack, and write all the Help cards
again, but
I want to find out WHY and HOW.

What did I do wrong - or more correctly how do I recover ? Or do I just
call
it part of the "learning curve", and create my Help substack again ?

Then, how do I copy it into all of my other Mainstacks ?

Best from Paris

Francis