"MegaWidget" question

Len Morgan len-morgan at crcom.net
Tue Feb 14 12:03:01 EST 2006

I'm wondering anyone has created a "megawidget" (sorry for the TCL/TK
term - that's my background) that would visually simulate a DIP switch?
I'd like to create a micro-app for a friend that would visually show and
allow the user to manipulate the switches on a multiposition DIP switch
and then calculate what those switches mean.  For example, it is common
to use 3 or 4 DIP switches to set the baud rate for a modem so I'd like
to let the user toggle the switches back and forth and display the baud
rate that would give them.  Alternatively, I'd also like to provide a
drop down box with the possible choices and upon selection, "set" the
switches on the screen.

This seems like it would need a modified checkbutton (one image for
switch-on and one for switch-off) and then a way of assembling more than
one of these into a group with a nice box around them that looks like
the body of the switch itself.

Is something like this possible?  I think if I had the images, I could
code it and make a generic DIP switch control that could make one as big
or small as necessary.

Thanks

Len Morgan