[OT] Re: Thar She Blows! - RR 2.7 ???

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Sun Feb 12 16:31:12 EST 2006

"Ah mean jings krivens help ma boab. Ah ken Richmond is an
eastcoaster ken
(not you Ken, ken means "know") but thons gan far."

Hmm . . .

1. I believe that only the Broons and Oor Wullie
(Comic-book characters) ever said "Ah mean jings krivens
help ma boab". Mind you, D.C. Thompson is a cousin of mine.

(and - you spell Crivens with a 'C')

2. I was born in Elgin, my father's people come from
Carnoustie and Arbroath. Most of the really big victorian
buildings in Dundee were built by my Great-Grandfather
Robert Mathewson and his brother Alexander.

3. Supposedly the best 'English' in the world is spoken in
Inverness! But last time I was there (about 4 year ago) I
heard nothing but Broad Scots and a bit of what we East
coasters call 'Erse' (Gaelic). Needless to say with 300
hundred years of English linguistic and cultural supremacy
Scots has been downgraded to a 'filthy dialect spoken by
unwashed fish-smokers'. However, from a diachronic point of
view Scots retains something like 95% of the original
Anglo-Saxon vocabulary, peppered with some Norse. English,
on the other had is only 40% Anglo-Saxon with about 50%
Norman French and all that fancy Latin imported by old
Bugger-Lugs Samuel Johnson.

4. When 'Dr' Samuel Johnson was taken into the Scots
Parliament by Boswell he was introduced to Lord Kames who
stood and examined Johnson for a few minutes and then
proffered a shilling to Boswell with the remark "I believe
that is the usual sum at the zoo for viewing the beasts".

I calmed down by hacking the revMenuBar stack (which seems
to serve no real purpose by being in view) so that when it
opens it moves (in Mac) to just up behind the menuBar (512,
-16) - which means the accursed thing is no longer visible.

I also opened up the menu editor and added cmd-6, cmd-8 and
cmd-7 to the revMenuBar menu under Objects so that I can
call  Card Script, Object Properties and Card Properties
respectively from my Belkin Nostromo.  What is not clear to
me is whether one can edit menus so that they will respond
with any of those Function buttons at the top of the
keyboard, or with multiple key-downs such as
cmd-alt-something. I am trying to go as mouseless as
possible as have been through 4 courses of
anti-inflamatories over the last 8 years and have been told
that the next lot will probably have to be steroidal - not
my idea of fun at all.

I due course I shall make available my Nostromo RR set and
a list of all the key-commands I have used in my edited
revMenuBar.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html