Difficulty using shell in Ubuntu Linux

Bob Warren robertum at brturbo.com
Wed Feb 8 22:34:59 EST 2006

Stephen:

As a complement to what Gordon said, and now that the shell has
magically begun working in my Ubuntu Linux, here is how I am managing to
read the floppy in Ubuntu. The problem in Ubuntu is that although you
can read the diskette by clicking on an icon, which automatically mounts
the drive, if you try to read it directly in RR without doing this, it
will not work because the drive hasn't been mounted yet. The solution is
to use the shell to mount the drive every time before reading the
diskette, and never to unmount it (unmounting will not work while your
app is running anyway, because since the system knows the floppy is "in
use", it is protected). This way, you can read the same diskette
repeatedly, or change the diskette at will, and the contents will be
correctly displayed:

on mouseUp
   get shell("mount /media/floppy0")
   set the defaultFolder to "/media/floppy"
   put the files into field "List1"
end mouseUp

For this function, no permissions are needed, of course. Sorry I can't
yet expand on the subject more eloquently.

If anyone has a minute to spare, would they mind trying the above floppy
routine on their non-Ubuntu Linux?

[I have only one Linux machine with Ubuntu installed, but I tried using
a "live" CD of Kurumin Linux to test it. The routine half worked - I got
a display of files, but they were from the HD rather than the diskette,
and I noted a system error in RR - so I concluded that this might be
because I was running the routine from a non-installed Linux and that
the result might be different if I ran it from an installed version of
Kurumin.]

Thanks.

Bob