Difficulty using shell in Ubuntu Linux

Bob Warren robertum at brturbo.com
Wed Feb 8 12:13:08 EST 2006

Thanks Gordon.
No, that's not the trouble. My default shellCommand is also correctly
set to "/bin/sh".
I've got the awful feeling I'm committting a goof somewhere, but that
I'm too blind to see it.......

As a result of your mention of the ShellCommand, I've just had the
inspiration of setting the defaultFolder to "/bin/sh".
The shell call worked perfectly.
So I then tried setting the defaultFolder to the path of the app to be
called, and now it also worked!!! Before, it didn't.
I am utterly confused.
Could it be that my RR/Ubuntu system was showing the benefit of  a few
hours' sleep after turning off the computer?

Anyway Gordon, thanks for the tip. It wasn't the cause of the problem,
but it certainly seems to have inspired my Ubuntu! Now I need to see how
the shell works (or doesn't work) after doing other "provocative" things
like I was doing last night, i.e. messing around with
mounting/unmounting the floppy (but that's another source of pending
questions to the RR/Linux community).

Bob