Massive XML docs

Todd Geist tg.lists at geistinteractive.com
Wed Feb 8 10:50:10 EST 2006

Hello Everyone.

I have some very large XML files ( 100mb or more) that I would to
parse. And this thing has to be fast.  I mean FAST. Since I have done
almost no work with rev and XML, I am looking for advice on how to
proceed

The user experience needs to be some thing like this...

I select the XML and very quickly I see the info about the top level
nodes

I select one of the top level nodes and I am very quickly presented
with more detail on it. Which may include all of it's children and
also information from other parts of the XML document that is related.

I continue to work my way around the document, by simple selecting
the elements that I need more info on.

At no point will a user ever need to see all the data that is in the
XML doc.  They are almost always looking for info on just one element
buried in there.  What I don't know is if the user is just walking
around the xml document one piece at a time, do I need to load the
whole thing into RAM in a revXMLTree, and If I do, won't that just be
insane for 100mb xml file.  Or can I do it one step at a time as the
user requests more detailed info.

Can Valentina or SQLlite be employed to help the situation?

Or would it be faster to parse it into a whole slew of custom props?

Any ideas and or thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks

Todd

--

Todd Geist