FOREIGN ACCENTS

Signe.Sanne at roman.uib.no Signe.Sanne at roman.uib.no
Tue Feb 7 02:16:34 EST 2006

Quoting David Mendriski <djdrisk at earthlink.net>:

>      HI ALL,
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get a PC to accommodate the input of a
> grave accent?  (Or any accent for that matter) The Mac only required
> hitting the option key followed by the grave accent (above the tab
> key) then the vowel.  As in the Italian "parlò" .  This sequence
> doesn't work on PC's.  there must be a way to put accent marks over
> vowels on PCs. What do our European friends do?   My PC version of my

Ciao David,
Just hold down the Shift key and press once the accent key (the one to the left
of the backspace key), nothing appears on the screen. Then write the vowel and
both accent and the vowel appear at the same time. (For the accent aigu you have
to hold down the AltGr key.)

I assume you wanted to type it, if you want to make the program do it for you
you may find the chartonum of "ò" (= 152) and use

put the numtochar of "152" after fld MyFld

In order to find the various numtochar, use the msg box

put the chartonum of "ò"
put the chartonum of "é" etc

(You write the accented letters as indicated above.)

Because of Windows I sometimes use a palette (one for each platform) with the
relevant accented letters for my students, this is even more relevant for the
students in French because of "ç, œ", cedille, trema etc. The student just
clicks on the letter on the palette and the program inserts it in the field.

Just ask me if there are further problems. If someone is interested I may make a
small example and upload it to Rev Online.

Signe Marie Sanne