Advice needed on how to start a new PIM program

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 12:14:43 EST 2006

On 2/3/06 8:16 AM, "Dennis Brown" <see3d at writeme.com> wrote:
> This is my personal investment ideas PIM
> The catch is that I need to have it running by MONDAY (yesterday
> really).
> This seems like such a generic thing, that I am sure there are
> hundreds of similar things already done.
> As always, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Ahh, there are probably 282,342,978 PIM projects that have been started in
the world today.  There is always room for another, so jump in.

For what its worth...
My quick recommendation is to think about substacks connected to a main
stack.  The memory load could be managed by opening and closing those, as
well as mainstacks that are connected and share data, etc.

You need to be careful not to head down the wrong path before Monday, or
there will be many hours of rework in your future.

Quick recommendation:  Download NoteTaker and use the 30 day demo period to
model the organization you want
--use the notebook.section.page system to be a stack
-- use the ability to link notebooks, and pages using drag-drop
-- use the ability to copy and paste outlines between pages
-- use the ability to drag-drop jpg, even whole web pages
-- web pages actually work within a page in a notebook

Now add descriptions of the Rev code and objects in each location, and build
the linking that makes sense for your interface.  Include a list of all the
buttons, fields, combo boxes, and user interface requirements, and you
should have a pretty close blue print for a Rev project.

As far as tons of data in different formats, Rev is really quite fast at
reading and writing text files to the hard drive.  So Monday morning, I
would recommend not including the SQL part of the solution.. save that for
coming up to speed later in Feb.

Final note, try to think modular with your code.  This means that you can
call a function, use a button many times throughout your project with
modification of parameters or names.  One example of a short cut for
buttons.. give the button a label you see, then a name that Rev will use
(eg. getChartData) and then the handler will be
on mouseUp
do the short name of me
end mouseUp
--> the handler in the stack script is
on getChartData

Now the script for most of your buttons is exactly the same.. do the short
name of me

Good luck on your lost weekend of fun :-)

Jim Ault
Las Vegas