MYSQl client: "Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Feb 2 10:57:20 EST 2006

On 2/2/06 9:25 AM, "MITTAL Pradeep Kumar" <PradeepKumar.MITTAL at insead.edu>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I want to use mysql in revoltuion 2.6.  When I try to connect to the my
> sql server, it throws me the following error,
>
> "There was an error connecting to database. Please check that connection
> fields are correct"
> REvDBError: "Client does not support authentication protocol requested
> by server , Consider upgrading mysql client"
>
> Please let me know if you have any idea to solve this.

What version of mySQL are you using? I ran into this same thing on mySQL 4.1
and it turned out that it had to do with the encryption method that changed
between mySQL 3 and 4 for storing the passwords. For example, to convert the
password for the user 'ken' on the localhost system, you need to execute
this in Terminal (or through shell() in Rev):

  set password for 'ken'@'localhost'=OLD_PASSWORD('ken');

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software