Rev's Portability

Robert John Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Fri Dec 29 13:18:37 EST 2006

Ditto Jim!

By the way, an excellent substitute for Corel in Linux nowadays is Xara Xtreme. You cannot import Corel files into it unfortuntately, but apart from that they have done a really smashing job with their Linux version. Just a detail...

Bob

>Very good response and your points are well-made.
I use both Mac and Win computers and have for years. Linux is still foreign
to me only because I have apps and workflow that is not supported there.

I am rooting for Linux to surge to the forefront with power apps and a
cleaner user experience.  I would add Linux to the arsenal, especially for
the internet exposure, if it were practical for me.  The Mac is my familiar
world and does quite well on the net.

> >  The very fact that,
> > different to Linux, Windows computers often have multiple logical drives makes
> > direct translation of the file systems absolutely impossible. I think this
> > issue depends on exactly what programs we are talking about.

Hmmm, I wonder if someone on the list has solved this, or a Linux library
would handle the tricky issues you describe.

Good thread.