Rev's Portability

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 12:17:16 EST 2006

I think you need to look at several solutions to the cross platform issues,
as well as your pendrive solution.   I believe you are booting from the
pendrive, which will not work in any of my needs.  My programs need to run
while other native programs run (Excel, FoxPro, Stata, Entourage, Photoshop,
Timbuktu, and many more).  This means that Linux is not an option for me.

Yes, path names is one of the issues, but is easily handled.  Almost all of
my Rev stacks and apps are meant to run cross-platform (Win, Mac, but not
Linux)

Here are two examples

function keyFolder
  --where the app or stack is located
  put the filename of this stack into keyPathh
  set the itemdel to "/"
  put item 1 to -2 of keyPathh &"/" into keyPathh
  return keyPathh
end keyFolder

function keyFolder2
  --other than the location of the app or stack
  switch the platform
  case "win32"
    put "c:/KEYFOLDER/" into pathh
    break
  case "MacOS"
    put specialfolderpath("desktop") into pathh
    replace "desktop" with "Documents/KEYFOLDER/" in pathh
  end switch
  return keyPathh
end keyFolder2

Jim Ault