Bugzilla down - Revzilla loses its mind

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Dec 23 03:26:13 EST 2006

The rest of what you wrote is all good for me, but this item is worth
clarifying for those who might be considering their own "Web 3.0" projects:

Bill Marriott wrote:
> Then there is the issue of updating client software when the reporting
> system changes. No, there is requirement to change the server to allow a
> client like RevZilla. But as you saw, our change to the backend does require
> a change to the client. Imagine if we were stuck with the old Bugzilla
> because of an installed based of integrated Revzillas going back umpteen
> versions of Revolution.

Any interface is an interface, whether it be PHP/HTML/JavaScript or
Revolution.  Both are separate from the underlying storage of the data
they present, and when the business logic of the data store changes then
of course any UI used to present that data will need to keep in step
with it.

The nice thing about Revzilla specifically is that the UI gets updated
at no cost to RunRev. :)

> this in the hopes of nipping in the bud any idea that RunRev
> doesn't care about RevZilla or that there is not enough consideration given
> to this tool which is so important to many users. Everyone I worked with at
> RunRev on this project admires RevZilla and gave it a lot of consideration
> during the project. Unfortunately we fumbled the ball a bit at the goal
> line, and I apologize for that.

I don't think anyone's every advocated ditching the web UI for the
database, but as long as Revzilla is appreciated at RunRev why not just
bundle it in the Plugins folder?

--
  Richard Gaskin Managing Editor, revJournal