Fun with fonts on Linux

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 06:19:34 EST 2006

Peter Alcibiades statement about Fonts and Linux
strikes me
as rather odd.

"The second problem is that there are two and only two

fonts that will permit the use of larger than 24 point
sizes.
These are bitstream charter and courier 10 point.
However, they, like the others,  do not render
properly,
so they look pretty terrible."

I make stacks on a Macintosh machine and then move
them over to a number of Linux boxes - at that point I
have
to select the font for each text-field (a bit tedious)
-
however, once I have selected a Linux font the size
that was set on the Mac returns - regardless of which
font I select.

Unfortunately, if one just sets the font for the stack
or card the text-fields don't seem to inherit
properly.

I am using an old version (5.04) of Ubuntu on the PCs
in my school - maybe Ubuntu handles fonts rather
differently to other Linux distros.

I made a font inside the user-home called .fonts (the
. at the start is necessary) and popped all sorts of
TTF fonts in there from all sorts of places -
including from other font folders lurking in my Ubuntu
systems.

There are lots of good TTF fonts freely available on
the internet.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Its time to do Philosophy and stop worrying about what dead men said."
                                                                                           Mathewson 2006