Multi-standalone communication

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Dec 9 02:19:29 EST 2006

On Dec 8, 2006, at 11:38 PM, Kay C Lan wrote:
>> Looking for suggestions on how to have 2 or 3 Rev standalones talk to
>> one another (under Windows). These separate Rev apps cannot share the
>> same engine. Perhaps it's quite easy and I'm just overlooking it.
>

> OK, I'm a hobbyist I'll stick my head out, but all the solutions
> here seem
> to be overly complex for what appears to only require local
> processing at
> the speed of button clicking. I use a method that is easy and seems
> to be
> overlooked.
>
> I regularly send large amounts of data between 2 Standalones, you can:
>
> set the myCustomProp of stack "Standalone No 2" to tMyLargeAmountData
> -- if you just want the data to be available in Stack 2 for later
> use. If
> you want to start a process and send data to another stack it's pretty
> simple to:
>
> send hHandlerInAnotherStack tMyLargeAmountData to stack "Standalone 2"

In Revolution "standalone" has meant an application built from one or
more stacks, a separate .exe or .app.  Is that how you are using the
term here?  If so, this is very interesting.  I have not seen this.
I would like to learn more.

If you are talking about several stacks in the Revolution IDE
environment or run in the same standalone, then that bring up the
good question of why use distinct applications.  It might be that
communication would be easier if all the stacks were in the same
application.  I have an old tutorial at my web site on "message
mechanics" that allows an application to do several things at once.

Dar

--
Dar Scott

Lab, office, home:  +1 505 299 9497