Multi-standalone communication

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Dec 7 13:50:08 EST 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 6:56 AM, Richard Miller wrote:

> Looking for suggestions on how to have 2 or 3 Rev standalones talk
> to one another (under Windows). These separate Rev apps cannot
> share the same engine. Perhaps it's quite easy and I'm just
> overlooking it.

If the computer is set up with networking, then you can use UDP over
127.0.0.1 (sockets).

You can also use files, maybe something like this.  The sender, A,
can write a file "tempAToB", wait until there is no "AToB" and then
rename "tempAToB" to "AToB".  The receiver, B, might look for the new
"AToB", read it, and delete it.  For very short messages, just rename
the file and look for changes.  You can also use multiple files as a
queue in alphabetical order.

Dar