Delay before sound starts playing

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Dec 7 02:43:34 EST 2006

Recently, Fred Moyer wrote:

> I'm trying to create a stack where the user can play a solo
> instrument along with a sound file that plays an accompaniment.
> The problem is that if there's too long a delay with no input from the
> user, the computer's sound "system" seems to goes into some kind of
> hibernation mode so that when the user clicks the mouse, there is a
> delay before the music starts again. (I notice that there's even a
> delay in "beep" in Revolution if the computer has been silent for a
> while.)
>
> Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Any possible solutions?

I've run into something like this a while ago.  Is it possible that this is
an older version of Mac OSX and/or an older version of Rev? In any event, I
got sidetracked and never followed up on it, but I seem to recall thinking
about trying to play "silence" sporadically to keep the audio busy -- maybe
making a 1 second WAV file of silence to occupy the engine/system and
playing it every so often.  Silence might not be enough to keep the audio
busy, but it's worth a try...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director