Revolution and the Web, feedback wanted, Part 1 of 3

Jerry Muelver jerry at hytext.com
Fri Dec 1 22:36:25 EST 2006

Chipp Walters wrote:
> Mikey, and other lurkers.
>
> Here's a quick history on the whole MC vs RR thing. MetaCard originally
> owned all the technology. It basically breaks into 2 parts: the engine and
> the IDE. Unlike HyperCard and SuperEdit (not SuperCard), the MC IDE was
> completely written in Transcript (or at that time MetaTalk).
>
> Scott Raney (the original programmer and owner of MetaCard) decided to let
> users create their own add-ons to the brute simple MC IDE.

1997, I think, I was doing MetaCard heavily. 3000 cards covering
operator help and training support, 4 product lines, everything
translated into 6 languages. I remember everything being clickety-bop
fast and solid, lots of scripts going to HTML and off to Workbench
(computer-aided translation) and back again, global reformatting to add
a text panel to every card to replace the (bad idea) audio track with
auto-extracted text from the narration script -- in each language. I got
away from it in 2000, and came back in 2005 to find the Revolution
version had taken hold, when back in my day Revolution was just an
upstart extra-cost IDE I never really thought I'd need. It's all kind of
  like doing serious work in Turbo Pascal 1.0, and coming back to find
JBuilder in its place. Gives me mixed emotions, like seeing your
mother-in-law drive off a cliff in your new Cadillac....

---- Jerry Muelver