[partly OT?] Amazon S3, EC2, cyborgs

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Aug 29 19:13:25 EDT 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 1:27 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> S3 is a prerequisite for EC2. You have to prepare your AMI, then
> upload it to S3 in order to get it into EC2space. This would
> obviously be done outside of rev.

Hmmm.  I know you sometimes challenge the obvious.

The REST interface to S3 seems to be simply HTTP with some tags.  The
HTTP examples I saw looked pretty straightforward.  Well, looked that
way to me, I'm new to the REST ideas.

As you mentioned, the sha1 seems to be the stumbling block for S3 in
Rev, but that can be handled with shell() if S3 is needed in Rev.

As simple data storage, S3 reminds me of Revolution arrays.  One
could made a uniform interface.

At the time I started this topic, I didn't realize that an S3 bucket
could look like a scalable web site to the public.  Cool.

> There are also problems in that EC2
> is a linux-only space and there is no current linux version of rev.

Yeah, it seems to be Xen for virtualization, which I assume means
Linux for now.  I'm not completely sure of that, because I had
earlier understood that you could load your own Linux and I thought
Xen needed a modified Linux as a client OS.

I have heard there are delays in getting computers started.

Dar Scott