Studio resizeing stack behind back of user...

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Tue Aug 29 13:34:18 EDT 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 11:54 AM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> I develop routines with buttons with or single commands. When I
> started, I had no idea what was going to be in those menus. In a
> long development, features change.
>
> I'm planning to put my future menus in their own stack, and "set
> the menubar to..."
>
>  I've heard it works, does anyone have a downside for this approach?

The downside arises when you need the menus cross-platform. That is,
since it has to be on the current card for Windows, you might as well
use it from there on the Mac.

Because I develop applications that hide the menubar, I avoid most of
these hassles -- most of the time -- by always having my menus, if
any, inside the card window for both Mac and Windows. But now and
then I do need a menubar menu for all or part of an application. In
that case, I store menus in a resources card on my launching stack
and set the menubar to whichever one I need when I need it, and copy
or place them on cards at runtime on Windows.

I've heard that the spontaneous resizing-the-window-with-or-without-
the-menu-group problems are much improved of late, but it used to be
a gigantic hassle, resulting, in one memorable case, of having to
recall and remaster hundreds of CDs just after a product release. I
just got out of the habit of letting the engine manage menus.

Tereza Snyder

    Califex Software, Inc.
    www.califexsoftware.com