[partly OT?] Amazon S3, EC2, cyborgs

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Aug 28 21:53:44 EDT 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 6:46 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> We use OpenSSL for the crypto-thing routines right? I think OpenSSL
> has SHA1 support in it so it would be a matter of exposing it just
> like LibXML2 has support for XSLT but RunRev team has not exposed
> it to upper levels.

Right.

I have no idea how much work that would be.

Also, when adding to the language, RunRev needs to consider where a
feature fits in, whether it has the right generalizations and options.

What's needed in S3 is hmac-sha1.  The HMAC part is straightforward,
but some people might want hmac-sha1, too, or instead.

On bugzilla is a feature request to allow applying MD5 to files too
large to bring in at one time.  This requires a partial MD5, I
think.  I am not able to figure out how to build one from MD5.  That
is, a partial would need to be built from scratch or use partial
functions from, say, openSSL.  No doubt, folks would want to do the
same with SHA1.  I imagine this would need 3 functions.

So 3 variations for partial plus one for full, times hmac or not,
times the number of digest methods could add up. Thats 16 functions
for just MD5 and SHA1.

But, if we have just one added, I would want SHA1.

Like I said, I can build the hmac around that, a one-liner on a wide
screen.

Dar