Program Icons and Autoplay

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sat Aug 26 06:06:11 EDT 2006

Hi Greame,

Am 26.08.2006 um 11:14 schrieb Mark Schonewille:

> Hi Graeme,
>
> You need to create icon files with special icon software, such as
> IconBuilder, IconoGrapher, LiguidIcon, or IconWorkshop. IconBuilder
> is a little complex, IconoGrapher easy but created bad icons for
> Windows, LiquicIcon is free but not very intuitive, and I have
> heard many good things about IconWorkshop.
>
> Once you have created your icon files, you have to tell the
> Revolution Standalone builder which files to use for icons. I am
> sure you can figure this out yourself.
>
> You can autostart a CD on Windows by including a text file in the
> root of the CD containing the line: open=setup.exe. Setup.exe would
> be the path to the application you want to start.

Put a simple textfile named "autorun.inf" (without the quotes, of
course!)
on the root level of you CD-Rom.

You can also define a nice icon for the CD by putting the ico file on
the root level
of the CD-Rom and adding these line to the file:

icon=nice_icon.ico
open=name_of_your_app.exe

The icon is of course optional.

> There was a trick on Mac to autostart CDs. I don't know if this is
> still possible and it is generally seen as bad behaviour by Mac users.

This anti-feature is no more available on a Mac!

Since one of the rare Mac virii (the so called "autostart virus, I
think it was programmed
in HyperCard?) used this leak in earlier days, Apple completely
diabled this feature.

Unfortunately, and since CDs do NOT appear on the windows desktop
like they do on the Mac,
the autorun feature is almost a MUST for windows distribution on CD.

Most windows users are completely lost and do not know what to do
without this "feature",
which of course a heartfelt invitation for malicious code :-)

icon=harmless_kitten_or_something.ico
open=evil_app_that_will_erase_the_complete_harddisk.exe

:-D

> Best regards,
>
> Mark
>
> --