Question: MacOS X Bundled Apache Server or Embeded Web Server?

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Aug 25 06:36:34 EDT 2006

Hi Andre,

I'm bundeling MC/Rev client-server's applications to Apache since
1997 in using this kind of architecture. The client part of the
process can be un standard web browser under the Win32, MacOS9/X or
Linux platforms, a webbrowser+AJAX add-ones (XMLHTTPRequest objects)
on the same platforms or MC/Rev client-side apps. All works very
securely in real solutions solded to my customers (Education,
Universities, Humans Ressources Management and Coaching).

Perhaps could you have an eye on the basic tutorial i maintain on the
subject at <http://istream.homeunix.com/insead/index_en.html>.

Dont hesite to ask me more about the details ;-)

Best Regards,

Pierre

Le 24 août 06 à 01:49, Andre Garzia a écrit :

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am building my soon to be released web application development
> thingy. I am bundling all my libraries (and some third party with
> credits), docs and example.
>
> But since I talked with Dan and others during RevConWest, I decided
> that the most important part of this package is the out-of-the-box
> experience. The hardest thing about CGI and WebApps for rev users
> is usually setting up the environment. The idea is to develop
> locally and then deploy when ready. I can't really build this for
> Windows, I expect help on that later. So the idea is that there's a
> home stack that sets everything up.
>
> Till today I was bundling the LiteSpeed Web Server <http://
> www.litespeedtech.com> server with the package. The server would be
> all set up out of the box so that you could just launch and play.
> The problem is, the thing is not running CGIs, the plain old
> ones... they run once, then the server deadlocks. ARGH!!!! I
> thought about using cherokee web server <http://www.0x50.org/> but
> then, it comes out in source form and when it compiles it hard code
> some paths for the dynamic loading libraries, so you cannot really
> build it and then just bundle. You must compile it for each
> installation. Thats the same trouble with Lighttp <http://
> www.lighttpd.net/>, and building it with static options makes a
> huge server like 158mb and still it hard code the paths.
>
> The MacOS X Apache server is not ready for FastCGI, for that we
> need to install the modules, which is easy. Actually thats not
> hard, simple commands and a revolution made stack could drive that
> installation easy. But again MacOS X out-of-the-box lacks the
> needed C compiler for that, only those that installed XCode
> development tools have the needed stuff to build Apache Modules.
>
> So here I am. The little servers all have some trouble or another,
> the MacOS X bundled one is fine, but again, you need to download
> 1GB XCode tools just to build simple couple megs apache module...
>
> any clue out there folks? is there any autoconf magician here that
> can build a lighttp install with relative paths instead of absolute
> ones (I tried and it didn't like).
>
> Can we use otool to rewrite the linkers absolute path using a
> relative one like we do for frameworks (using @executable_path).
>
> Argh, I am looking for help.
>
> Andre

Pierre Sahores