Can one run out of IDs?

Peter T. Evensen pevensen at siboneylg.com
Thu Aug 24 11:00:38 EDT 2006

I am creating an app that creates and deletes a lot of fields.   It is
basically a educational title with cloze activities (i.e., fill-in,
like  "The d_ _ likes to ch_ _ _ the ball.")

I read the content from an external text file and then copy an existing
field to get the different parts.  In the example above I create 10 fields
containing "The " "d" "_" "_" " likes to " "ch" "_" "_" "_" " the ball."

I use separate fields so I can more easily control the placement of the
text so as to not have text moving as I replace the underscores with
letters (e.g. "_" is a lot wider than an "i", so if I have "dig" as "d__ a
hole," and I replace the first _ with i, the text after the I will move to
the left.)

My concern is that with creating and deleting so many fields, I might run
out of IDs.  Are the IDs ever reused?

This probably isn't a problem with the runtime, since the stack isn't
saved, so the next time the program is run, it will start with the same IDs
each time.  My main concern is in testing the program in the IDE and
ratcheting up the ID numbers.  Is this a valid concern?  Is there anyway to
"reset" the ID numbers?

Thanks!

Peter T. Evensen
http://www.PetersRoadToHealth.com