Rev cgi & gzip HTML data to browser

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Sun Aug 20 11:18:58 EDT 2006

Mark,

Thanks for your time & efforts.

All my data is correct, since all HTML code displays OK in the
browser.
My only problem is that compressing the HTML data doesn't
speed up anything : as stated in my original post, compressing
actually speeds up download time (from server to browser) but
then all the time saved when downloading 120 Kb of compressed
HTML (instead of 1 Mb of plain HTML) is lost when the browser
decompresses the HTML...
In all cases HTML displays OK, but there's no point compressing...

I'm a bit surprised, since in Rev decompress() is as fast as compress()...

FYI my HTML data is a very complex <TABLE> structure (500 rows
& 30 cols) with quite a lot of CSS... about 1Mb of HTML...

I have the feeling that I'm pushing hard towards the limits of IE6 and
my Win box (512 Mb of RAM only) and that the browser must be
re-allocating some memory space before decompressing...
I tried to skip that problem by using
    window.location.replace(...
instead of
    window.location.href=...
in myHTML code when calling the new HTML... but it doesn't
seem to help much...

Best,
JB