Uploading

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 15:35:31 EDT 2006

On 14 Aug 2006, at 20:19, Richard Miller wrote:

> Our program needs to upload files from a computer that uses a
> wireless broadband connection to our server approximately 10 times
> per hour. Each file averages 1-1.5 MB in size. What is the most
> dependable way to do this: liburlFTPupload, liburlFTPuploadFile, or
> PUT URL? Dependability is the key issue for us. Blocking or non-
> blocking is not an issue.

I don't think there's much difference in dependability among the
three methods. However,  "put .. into url" is slightly less complex
under the hood, so I suppose there's potentially less to go wrong.
Personally, I find it easier to script, and tend to use it for most
things. The only limitation is that there is no obvious way to cancel
the upload midway, but that may not be an issue with files of this
size. With the "upload" methods, you can use unload url to cancel an
upload.

> My understanding is that with PUT URL, there is no information
> available about the status of the upload during the upload... only
> at the end. This isn't a big issue for us if it's a more dependable
> way to upload files of this size.

You can use libUrlSetStatusCallback (see docs) to get feedback during
the upload. (This works with all three methods.)

Cheers
Dave