What should be in 8th Grade Maths ?

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 03:53:00 EDT 2006

Re a recent posting by Dar Scott:

I teach quite a lot of "squeaky little 6-12 year olds" simple programming using
Runtime Revolution and the stumbling block is usually mathematical
(some of the stupid ones cannot get their heads around my initial demonstration
with the coffee cups and the dried beans - and so have no chance understanding
Object-based languages).

Now, like it or not, the squeaky little 6-12 year olds will be in command when most
of us are dead, or heading that way.

Like human language learning, the sooner you can get children involved in
computer programming, the more chance that there is that they will become
good at it.

So, as school systems everywhere (well at least in the US, the UK and
Bulgaria) are a bit slack with the maths, has anybody any idea about
what Basic Maths is needed to guarantee a bright child (and most of
them are bright, given the right sort of encouragement and stimulus) is
not going to come a cropper just when they are getting all excited
when they find they can do real things with RR (watching a 6 year-old
produce a simple program is sheer joy).

Plainly: A MATHS CORE for PROGRAMMING SKILLS.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006