HTML Tag Cleaner Fails

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhosting.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 08:39:31 EDT 2006

Dave Cragg wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2006, at 11:36, Dar Scott wrote:
>

>> I give up.  You guys are right.  The htmlText renders HTML.
>
> I think you might be accused of twisting people's words again. :-) The
> above description suggests that it renders html well. I didn't see
> anybody making that claim.
>
> Better perhaps...
>
>   The htmlText renders html kinda.
>
> Cheers
> Dave

I'm at a loose end, let's waste a bit more bandwidth...

My take here is that the fact that the htmltext does as you say above
"renders html kinda." is a side-effect of its true purpose. I see its
purpose as to allow access to RR field text formatting information in a
text-only form that can be readily understood, stored and manipulated.
This is a more user-friendly alternative to a binary stylerun for
instance. A pseudo-html syntax was adopted to implement this, which has
the side-effect that some html can be rendered in an RR field "kinda".

I agree with others that the name of the property probably misleads more
often than it explains.

Martin Baxter