Studio License Renewal Cost

dreamscapesoftware.com - List list at dreamscapesoftware.com
Sat Aug 5 12:16:44 EDT 2006

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> A search for "subscription" came up empty on both pages.

Try searching for "upgrade".

> Section 5-d of the Terms is about RevOnline; I can't figure out how the description of that optional free service could be construed to mean that the Rev product itself will somehow no longer let you continue developing software at the end of any sort of "subscription" period.

In section 5-d it states:

"In the event of a new version of the software being made available, you must upgrade to this version by paying a fee or purchasing an upgrades pack in order to be able to continue to upload or modify your Revolution Online content."

This statement is the only place in the "REVOLUTION LICENSE AGREEMENT AND WARRANTY DISCLAIMER" where it actually talks about the "upgrade packs".

> The Studio Purchase Page cited states it has nothing to do with upgrades at all, that they are to be purchased separately.

No, the page states:

"This license does *not include* any technical support or upgrades, these may be purchased separately."

> I may be sleep-deprived but I'm just not seeing a "subscription" model here.  Looks like one can buy a license to use a given version indefinitely, and can optionally choose to buy upgrades as they like. This is how much of the industry works.

Actually, I'm talking about paying for "1 year of upgrades" and the cost associated with what you get, and not the ability to continue development with the original license key.

Also, I do believe that Bill was using the term subscription as a way of describing what one is actually doing when they put out $199 for a new (or upgraded, or renewed, or whatever you want to call it) license.