Studio License Renewal Cost

dreamscapesoftware.com - List list at dreamscapesoftware.com
Sat Aug 5 02:02:59 EDT 2006

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> dreamscapesoftware.com write:
>
> > Garrett Hylltun wrote:
> >> I've already expressed my dislike of the pricing structure.
> >> But expressing it here on the mailing list does nothing but
> >> cause unwanted and unneeded dissension among everyone on
> >> the list and in the end, won't change Runtime's pricing
> >> structure anyway.
> >
> > Where else would be a good place to discuss this issue then?
>
> It seemed that Garrett was just politely pointing out the ineffectualness of posting here:  None of the other users in this user-to-user forum can do anything for you on matters relating to the company's internal decisions.

Maybe not on an individual basis, but as a group they sure can.  Petitions, letter writing campains, boycotts... anyone can change a company's internal decisions.

> For noise-making I suppose the list provides a certain satisfaction, but for results have you considered writing to RunRev directly?

I've written letters to many companies in the past, and the one thing I've learned is that you must have a lot of people agree with you before anyone will actually listen.

> I don't understand the claims about RealBASIC being cheaper (assuming by "cheap" the reference is to price <g>), nor can I find anything on RunRev's site describing a subscription-based licensing model.

[snip]

> It's been a long time since I bought my license, and I know the licensing and pricing structure has changed with surprising frequency, so if my understanding is out of date please let me know the URL where I can learn more.

The Revolution Terms (note section 5-d)
http://support.runrev.com/section/terms.php

The Revolution Studio Purchase Page (note the info at the bottom of the page)
https://secure.runrev.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=SDREBWLP&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=STUD&Product_Code=STUD

The REALBasic Pricing Page (Upgrades cost no more than half of the original price)
http://www.realsoftware.com/store/realbasic_pricing/

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
www.dreamscapesoftware.com