form email to RevCGI, solved for GET not POST

HyperChris at aol.com HyperChris at aol.com
Fri Aug 4 17:04:12 EDT 2006

The GET method encodes the form data in the URL and the POST method passes it
as a parameter. When a rev CGI reads from StdIn it just gets the parameters
and so GET will never work that way. To get that URL inside a rev CGI you need
to use the $QUERY_STRING variable.

The downside to using GET is that your params (encoded in the URL) are out
there for the world to see and there is a limit on length (and that may kill
what i wanted to do!) The email clients don't appear to support the sending of
parameters because a POST form works great from the browser but not from any
email client I have tried.

------------------------------
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:32:05 EDT

Sometimes i buy things online and receive a survey form in my email to rate
the seller. The forms usually have some graphics, text, radio buttons, a text
box (for comments) and a submit button. The idea being that you can do the
response right there in the email program and click Submit to send off the
response. You are then sent to a thank you web page.

These are, of course, HTML emails and upon closer examination, they use the
"GET" method to call a PHP script at the server. (form
action="http://www.pricegrabber.com/html_user_sales_rate.php" method="get")

I want to do this with my Rev CGI, so i setup a script that just returns the
form parameters. I test it out first as a stand alone web page and it works
great. Next, I use ShaoSean's libSMTP and libEmailEncode252 to attach the
HTML
form to an email. I get the HTML based email which looks fine and I fill in
all
the stuff and hit Submit.

I go to the web page and i get my static response but none of the info i
supplied to the form. I have the script write out the variables it receives
and
they are empty. It is as though the revCGI is being called but can't access
the
data, or is not being given the data, that was passed when making the form
submission.

Again, this works fine if use the HTML as a web page. It only goes blank when
i do it via email??? Are there some limitations here that I do not know?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Chris