u3 rev application with mysql/apache

Viktoras Didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Wed Aug 2 16:59:16 EDT 2006

Hi Robert,

Apache is needed only if you wish to clone a website with
cgi/SSI/php/databases/whatsoever to a flash drive (or CD) without major
changes to the server side scripts and (x)html forms so you could access it
locally or from your LAN using web browser or from within hta applications.

If you need just a database application, then probably altSQL which embeds
SQLite engine would be the optimal solution. Concerning MySQL, the best
option is to do manual install of MySQL. Download distribution without
instaler from
http://www.mysql.org/downloads/mysql/5.0.html

Then follow directives at
http://www.mysql.org/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-install-archive.html
to install and configure directly to the thumbdrive.

Use only relative path names everywhere to avoid problems with drive letters
 type in your_password instead of kristupukas - sorry, forgot to translate
it to English :-):
put "xamp\mysql\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\mysqladmin -" &
-password=your_password shutdown"

There is also a possibility to embed MySQL, but this requires some efforts:
http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/users-conference/2006/embedded.php

Alternative might be a Firebird database:
http://www.firebirdsql.org/,
which can also be embeded into applications or run as a server and is
relatively small ~around 4Mb. Also has an in-memory database option. But I
am just planning to play a bit with it in future, as allways :-)

All the best!
Viktoras