"stamp" copy methods

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Apr 30 23:54:29 EDT 2006

Recently, Kurt Kaufman wrote:

> I'm looking for an efficient way to do the following:
> 1) I have a collection of about 50 very small graphics (b&w).
> 2) I'd trap keystrokes to set the cursor to a miniature
> representation of one of the above graphics.
> 3) Subsequent clicking on a "canvas" would create and place a copy of
> the keystroke-chosen graphic at the clicked location.
> 4) The location of the graphic now placed in step 3 can be tweaked
> with mouse or arrow keys.
> 5) Creation of arcs (music slurs and ties)
> 6) Creation of music "beams" for 8th and 16th notes, etc.
>
> I'm especially interested in suggestions for step 3, but all

Well, here are some options that might be considered "efficient": use
buttons (whose icons are set to a range of musical note images) or
antialiased graphics (only under Rev 2.7, and even then, the graphics might
be too small to render nicely).  Both of these two options would rely on one
complete set of note images that are referenced, as opposed to duplicated.
But depending on how many objects you have per "page" you might be able to
get away with using image objects as well.  At any rate, I would establish a
positioning grid such that note objects (whether they be buttons, graphics
or images) "snap to" positions on the staff.  I believe there are a few
snap-to grid examples in the mail archives.

I think the project is quite doable, but it will involve a fair amount of
numeric/positioning management.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director