capturing output from device

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Sat Apr 29 13:04:29 EDT 2006

I would love to see this capability added to Rev, but I don't know how
difficult it might be. But the benefits would be there; for one thing,
it would open up the robotics world to Rev (and I guess USB device
management in general).

A year or so ago I needed a Rev-based app to communicate with a
custom-built HID input device, so we ended up having someone write a C
'passthrough' app to facilitate the communication. That app runs
invisibly and under my Rev app's control. It interacts with the host
controller ( via open source libUSB [Win] or a special .kext file [Mac]
) on the OS side, and with my Rev app via sockets on the application
side. Works reliably and is fast as lightning, but configuration is
always an issue on Windows.

How great it would be if Rev could read and parse USB HID structures!

Phil Davis