Character Encoding

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Sat Apr 29 08:39:50 EDT 2006

Does anyone know which character encoding Apple uses to display
strings in iTunes?

I'm reading some text info from the m4a tags produced by iTunes, and
there seem to be some double-byte characters in there. I have no
experience of this, and know nothing, so I'm grasping at straws.

As an example of what I get, the 'Esoterik' (where the 2nd (lower
case) e should have an acute accent over it, I'm getting:

Esot <char value  195><char value 169> rik

what it should be, under whatever character set Rev defaults to on
Mac OSX, it should be a single char of value 142.

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks,

Mark