Slideshow with Revolution?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Apr 28 00:09:30 EDT 2006

Tom,

Cool way to stress test  with just 11 slides ( I think that's what
you meant to do.. by adding the variable)

Klaus, was 2.7.1rc1 announced on this list? can I get it? I would
like to stress test this.. and have a project where using this record
thing Tom suggested with call back will be the answer to a really
difficult problem.

More than you want to know below:

Here's my 'big picture' context: one dev group is developing
prosentations in KeyNote that are delivered at conferences. A lot
work goes into this: image-art acquisition, slide text, all pre-
written,  speaker's text  is carefully drafted and edited. (not shown
on screen but in the KeyNotes screen two, speaker's notes field),

Ok the presentation is given verbally, but the presentor is
practically reading word for word the presentor's notes on screen two
while the presentation is running on screen one (which appears on the
big screen in the auditorium...). OK, it's a very big hit! Makes most
Power Point presentations look horrible, Of course what people don't
know is that a whole team of designers, editors etc worked on this
thing  months in advance... Now the bomb comes... Here you are in
Sydney Australia with several thousand people watching the
presentation...  rush up afterwards "Oh! that was incredible. Can we
get that to show in our classrooms! With your voice over?" someone
says, "Oh yes, of course we can do that..." (smile)

Ok now, how do  you do that? not as easy as you might think. SnapsPro
will record video &audio input while the presentation is running, but
the box presenting the KeyNotes is running the Mac Intel now.. and
SnapsPro and MacCapture have no intel version yet.

You can record the presentor, export to quicktime movie.but syncing
the QT movie with the sound is a night mare: the QT export simply
runs transitions on a preset timer, but the time for the voice over
for any one slide varies all over the place.  Even if we do manage,
after days of work in FinalCut pro to sync all that... we end up with
a 800 meg file... = only delivery option is on DVD data disk or turn
it into a DVD. There seem to be all kinds of other "issues" with
KeyNote, movies that shoudl be linkable are embedded... the size of
the file grows and grows and grows...

Enter Revolution: if we are willing to sacrifice some (a lot
actually) of  the keynote eye candy (twirly graphics checker board
zoomy transitions... logos rendering in 3 D motion...) we can simplly
export the slide as jpgs, import into Revolution with an external
sound track, set the call backs and voila.. we have a stack plus
audio = 20 megs, deliverable on the internet.

One of you wizards should just build a two screen presentation
environment for Rev, do a shameless copy of the PowerPoint or KeyNote
model, leave the scripts open source and sell it to the rest of us
for 49.95... I would buy it in a minute. iWorks (contains keynote)
sells for $79.00 and if most users like us just want the Keynote Part
(who really needs "Pages" except your little sister, I find most MS
word users are die hard MS word users)

Of course it giving away tools to the rest of us his more fun, the
give use this presentation tool for free and see if we can get flocks
of board room presentation people to buy revolution.

so if a revolutionary created a presentation shell, tool kit, with
all the scripts open source for developers to plug and play... I'm
sure there is a market for it.

It would export and import XML of course so that we are not actually
having editorial teams doing their writing and editing in KeyNote
itself (yes, incredible but true, advanced Quark and InDesign and MS
word users are sitting there manually fixing spelling in KeyNote!)

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org