RevMedia for CBT/eLearning (Preston Shea)

Bob Earp rjearp at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 25 12:13:17 EDT 2006

Thanks for the reply Preston.  Myself and colleagues have been developing CBT stuff (mainly technical subjects that include mini simulations) for an awful lot of years and have used most tools that could be referred to as RAD, and some specialized CBT authoring products.  Hypercard, SuperCard, and ToolBook have been the tools of choice until Rev came along, and we are now using that but only for simulations and RAD work.

The problem is that we have developed a major suite of authoring tools and a very good navigation shell within ToolBook that increases our productivity immensely while not requiring content developers to know much script.  The authoring/delivery environment is very robust and extremely well liked by clients as they get to maintain their own projects with very little training or skills.  We are very slowly moving the TB stuff to Rev, but we've invested years of development and don't have the luxury of a major project to pay for the redevelopment.  So when I saw RevMedia released that mentioned its use as a tool to develop training, I was encouraged that maybe a new solution had evolved.

However, over the years an awful lot of applications have said they were training authoring tools (even PowerPoint !!), but almost none are a tool that anybody seriously into the development of CBT/eLearning would wish to use.  I suspect that RevMedia falls into this category.

best, Bob...