Making custom skins for your app

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 15:46:51 EDT 2006

On 4/24/06 11:46 AM, "Josh Mellicker" <josh at dvcreators.net> wrote:
> I'm really not trying to argue but provide specific examples of why I
> switched to Fireworks... can you provide the top 3 or 5 specific
> reasons you prefer Photoshop for GUI design?
>
> Not to belabor the point, but we are generating a lot of graphics
> right now for tons of courses and the info could be helpful.

The reasons I use Photoshop (and have not really looked at FireWorks) are
that PSh has Actions (sequences), is very AppleScriptable, and I have setup
collections of instruction sets in Rev to tell PSh to:

process incoming camera images into destination folder sets
combine these images into a sequence of related images
apply the various corrections to the camera images
by selecting from lists in Rev, the Photoshop app opens, processes, renames
and outputs the results, then Rev uploads to the web area I choose.

I realize that this is a very specific use of Rev-AS-Photoshop, but it is
the reason I chose Rev in the first place.  PShop will crank along for about
8-10 minutes on a Mac G5 duo 2.0 mHz doing what would take me about 1.5
hours manually, not including mistakes and mis-steps.

For your project, it is possible that the Actions & Sequences in Photoshop
may get you where you want to go without any other scripting.

I would like to hear if Fireworks has similar capability, as I am most
involved in camera/jpg image reproduction for web content.  The use of
rollover buttons I do in Flash on a timeline that allows sophisticated
transitions and states, so simple rollovers are easy, but not often
required.

I am always looking for more good tools for my tool box.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas