Change Screen Resolution

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 16:56:13 EDT 2006

> >  FOr OS X, you can use the shell command
> > cscreen to change resolution.
>
> cscreen does not seem to be a default shell command, there is no man
> page,
> and Terminal returns command not found.
>
> The utility to make it work can be found here
> http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19753
>
> But would require some installer magic to ship with any product.
>
> Here's a tutorial on Applescript screen resolution changes using cscreen
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040908141042786

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was a third-party utility that had
to be downloaded. However it doesn't really need any installation
wizardry. By default, such shell commands are supposed to go into
/usr/bin which is a protected folder that requires authorisation.
However it will work perfectly if hidden in your app bundle provided
you call it using it's complete path.

If you put it into /usr/bin, you can use it with: get shell("cscreen")

If it's in your bundle, (assuming it is in the same folder as all your
stacks) you can use it like this:

put "/Applications/MyAppName/Contents/MacOS/cscreen" into tShellCommand
get shell(tShellCommand)

These examples have no parameters and so just report the current
resolution, but the link above includes examples of using parameters
to change the res.

Cheers,
Sarah