unicode

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Apr 21 11:24:07 EDT 2006

On Apr 20, 2006, at 8:10 PM, Nicholas Thieberger wrote:
> Dear Devin,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. However, when I put my cursor into the
> field my keyboard is automatically reassigned to a generic (non-
> unicode) one. I have downloaded your unicode stack too, thanks, but
> it also has the same problem. I don't understand why the character
> I want, a combining tilde, comes out as a cyrillic character in
> your example field, just as all my characters appear in a Chinese
> script if I switch the field to unicode......
>
> Very frustrating!
>
> Nick

Nick,

The thing is Revolution will remember the last keyboard that was
selected for that field. After you click in the field you need to
then select the language keyboard you want to use, based on the
interface your OS provides for that (sorry, you didn't tell me which
platform you're on.) On Mac OS X, for example, you FIRST click in the
field, go to the flag menu in the upper right hand corner, then
select the language. Windows is similar, there is a popup menu on the
right end of the task bar as I recall. Once that is done you should
be able to start typing in that language.

If you type your characters, say in english, then set the textfont of
the field to, say, "Verdana,unicode", Chinese characters are the most
common result. Instead, select and type in the desired language as
described above, then when you check the textfont of the field like this

   put the textfont of line 1 of fld 1

It should report back something like "Verdana,russian" with the
selected language reported as the second item.

Another quirk of unicode in Rev: usually what you need to do when
explicitly changing the font is to assign the font to a CHUNK of text
in the field instead of to the entire field, like this:

   set the textfont of line 1 of fld 1 to "Osaka,japanese"

Keep on plugging. Unicode in Rev is quirky, but pretty reliable once
you figure it out.

Hope this helps.

Devin

Devin Asay